Posted by Allan Gregory on 11/27/2019

What to Do after You Get a Speeding Ticket in Denver

What to Do after You Get a Speeding Ticket in Denver

Speeding tickets can ruin your day and make you feel helpless. Many people believe that paying a speeding ticket is the only way to deal with the alleged violation, but you have the right to fight your ticket in court. Because speeding tickets can add points to your driving record, which can eventually lead to higher insurance premiums and a license suspension, fighting your ticket can be worth the time and effort.

A Denver speeding ticket lawyer will guide you through what to do after you get a speeding ticket. You have options, and each one will result in a different outcome. Depending on what your driving record looks like and how much time you have, one option may be more appropriate for you than another. 

Option 1: Pay the Ticket

You can pay your fine if you don’t mind receiving points on your driving record and don’t want to bother with fighting your ticket. Fines vary based on the speeding violation you incurred.

In Colorado, for speeding violations 1-4 mph over the speed limit, you must pay a fine of $30. For violations 5-9 mph over the limit, you must pay $70. For violations 10-19 mph over the limit, the fine is $135. Violations 20-24 mph over the speed limit result in a fine of $200. 

It’s important to remember that paying your speeding ticket translates to an admission of guilt, so you’ll also receive points on your driving record and a possible increase in your insurance premium. Speeding 5-9 mph over the limit will result in one point added to your record, speeding 10-19 mph over the limit will result in four points added, and speeding 20-39 mph over the limit will result in six points added.

Option 2: Request a Hearing

If you can’t afford to pay your ticket, don’t want points added to your record, or you don’t think your actions warranted a ticket, you can request a contested hearing to fight your ticket. When you request a contested hearing and plead not guilty to the offense, you may be able to make a plea bargain with the court.

In a plea bargain, you’ll plead guilty to a lesser offense before your court hearing date so you and the court can save time. A plea bargain may keep points off your driving record and serves as a compromise for everyone involved.

If you don’t want to make a plea bargain, you can follow through with your contested hearing and plead not guilty. To do so, you must check the designated box on your ticket and mail it in within the specified time limit. 

How an Attorney Can Help Your Case

If you believe the police officer who issued your speeding ticket did so for unwarranted reasons, going to traffic court can help you get the charges reduced or dismissed in some cases. Having a lawyer to defend you in court can be helpful, and it may increase your chances of receiving the justice you deserve.